Led by: Julie Dohrman
From June 2, 2019 at 1:00 pm until June 2, 2019 at 3:00 pm at Dumbo
Join Julie to uncover the roots of Vinyasa and its greater purpose as stabilizer to the body/mind relationship.
Vinyasa, commonly referred to as “flow”, is a style of yoga characterized by weaving postures together, one to the other, using breath. As a philosophy, Vinyasa and its dynamic movement recognizes the sacred folding and unfolding, temporary nature of life as we move progressively into and out of postures. With no two classes being alike and varying degrees of athletics, flexibility, strength training, and slow focused somatic nuance, sometimes the higher purpose of the Vinyasa practice gets lost.
Vinyasa, which translates to mean “placing in a purposeful, meaningful, prescribed way” is also done progressively and sequentially, increasingly preparing you for more challenging poses. As you do things that need more awareness, you build that awareness. And as a metaphor for life, Vinyasa offers a unique movement practice to build greater intentionality to all of life.
We’ll build a fun and challenging sequence and you’ll come away learning:
• The basic warm up sequence Surya Namaskar A + B, modifications, and nuance
• Fundamental anatomical awareness and action for the poses in Surya Namaskar
• How to develop skill in “transitions”, or the places between postures, and treat them as postures themselves.
• Refined understanding of Ujjayi breath, seated and while moving.
• Some history around Vinyasa yoga today
This will be a great practice for those who want to refine their Surya Namaskar practice and will include arm balances, inversions and backbends. Also great for students in any Teacher Training. All levels are welcome!
$45 early bird / $50 day of
Julie Dohrman is ERYT-500 and YACEP for CE hours with Yoga Alliance.