200 Hour Teacher Training
The Art of Teaching
The 200 Hour Teacher Training fully prepares the aspiring teacher to graduate with skill, grace, and a depth of knowledge to confidently teach professionally. We appreciate artful teaching and therefore take the time to train each student with care and our individual approach. Our goal is to empower each Teacher Training student encouraging their own curiosity and creativity to come through.
Summer 200 Hour Intensive
- August 4 – August 28, 2019
- With Tara Glazier, Joy Radish & Sophia Holly
Fall 200 Hour Teacher Training
- September 11 – December 22, 2019
- With Kathryn Robinson & Tara Glazier
Spring 200 Hour Teacher Training
- February 7 – May 10, 2020
- With Tara Glazier
- Pedagogy and Curriculum: Our experience and passion is teaching teachers. Our high level curriculum taught by national and international yoga leaders is thorough and accessible. Learn from the best in the field.
- Full Spectrum Integration: We teach teachers the full spectrum of Yoga and how it integrates from the most foundational physical body components to the most subtle and spiritual. Students learn to develop their own authentic approach with foundational guard-rails.
- Experience & Confidence: Our graduates walk out with over 30 hours of teaching experience, one on one mentoring, and the experience of teaching a FULL asana class upon graduation with specific feedback and goals.
- Community: Our graduates are invited to teach Community classes and teach as part of our Non-Profit Foundation programs.
Abhaya is proud to have graduated several hundred students over the years with 75% of graduates teaching actively and professionally nationally and internationally. Many of the Abhaya staff are Abhaya trained!
- August 4th – August 28th, 2019
- Sunday through Tuesday & Thursdays 10am – 6pm
- Wednesdays & Fridays 10am – 8pm
- September 11th – December 22nd, 2019
- Wednesdays 6:30pm – 9:30pm
- Sundays 10am – 6pm
- Select Full Weekends
- February 7 – May 10, 2020
- Fridays 6pm – 9pm
- Saturdays & Sundays 10am – 6pm
- 11 Weekends
This unique, highly individualized program offers an experiential curriculum for students desiring depth of understanding. The first 100 hours focuses on deep personal and yogic study:
- asana alignment
- history of yoga
- spiritual/ philosophical context
- breathwork and meditation
Using the Abhaya Method as a framework for study, the student learns foundational principles in the body that influence the free flow of breath. Abhaya Method is oriented toward awakening the body’s innate intelligence (through releasing gripping and holding patterns) & ultimately promoting healthy pranic flow leading to balance. The study of Classical- Tantric philosophies offers a wide range, non-dogmatic, empowering approach to yoga and lifestyle.
After the initial 100 hours of deep study and personal experience, the journey of becoming a teacher begins. Teaching is an art that unfolds naturally with supportive guidance and clear structure.
The second 100 hours focuses specifically on TEACHING. We dive directly into teaching skills:
- Verbal Instruction
- Teaching with the BREATH (vinyasa)
- Sequence Construction
- Hands On Adjustments
- Applied Anatomy and Therapeutics
- Ayurveda and Health/ Lifestyle Practices
- Authentic and Relevant Teaching
- Theme Integration
Joy has been teaching since 2005 on the east and west coasts.. Her teaching offers a space for deep self-study based in yogic philosophy/dharma as well as a daring exploration of both the inner and outer bodies. Joy is a theatre artist, psychotherapist, vocalist, activist and writer, and brings a lot of art and heart to her teaching practice. Joy holds a master’s degree in drama therapy from NYU and works full time as a psychotherapist in inpatient psychiatry. She holds infinite gratitude to Tara and the Abhaya community for creating a home that honors yoga with utmost integrity, care, and support.
Susan Kotcher came to Yoga through the gateway of meditation in Zen, Tibetan, and Shambhala Buddhist traditions. She loves to help students experience the mysterious flow of life we sometimes feel during a great Yoga class or, surprisingly, during some of the difficult moments in our lives. Out there in the world, Susan is a non-profit leader and fundraiser. Susan has been teaching for many years and re-ignited her teaching through Abhaya Yoga’s RYT-500 teacher training.
Sophia Holly is a 500 hour level yoga teacher, trained at Abhaya. Sophia teaches private and public yoga classes in NYC designed to help people love themselves, regardless of their ability and body size. She also teaches private sessions and yoga based workshops to help people heal their relationship with food and body. Her classes are a blend of flowing movement, and relaxing restorative. When not teaching yoga Sophia is singing and playing music, and enjoying city life.
Nancy Rich, RYT-500, stepped onto the path of yoga seven years ago. Her love of the practice and the freedom she has discovered, both on and off the mat, informs her teaching. She serves her community by offering yoga to her students in a safe, nurturing environment. Nancy has received both her 200 and 500 hour Yoga Alliance Teaching Certification from Abhaya Yoga. The Abhaya Method focuses on deepening awareness while releasing holding and gripping patterns in the body. She uses holistic approach to align, heal and guide the practitioner toward a deeper freedom.
ANATOMY AND THERAPEUTICS
Jonathan has been practicing yoga since 1995 and has been teaching since 2000, having studied with some of the yoga community’s leading teachers. He owned and operated the Yoga Center of Brooklyn from 2001-2009 and created the CoreWalking Program in 2005 because walking is something we all do and walking correctly is an amazing way to bring positive change to our ageing bodies. corewalking.com
MASTER ASANA TEACHER
Zhenja encourages students to explore the vast potential of their own hearts and bodies by sharing insights from her dedicated personal practice and the revelations of everyday experience. Known and sought after for her precision, clarity, and delight in detail, Zhenja is a true teachers’ teacher who has mentored and trained dozens of teachers in the art of teaching. Her teaching is informed by her longtime study with Tantric scholar Douglas Brooks and more than a decade of study in Anusara Yoga. zhenjalarosa.com
AYURVEDA AND HEALTH/ LIFESTYLE
Dr. Naina Marballi (Ayurveda) has been healing clients, conducting workshops and hosting Ayurvedic Study Certification Programs based in New York City since 1998. After acquiring her B.S.A.M. (Bachelor of Shuddha Ayurvedic Medicine) degree from India’s premier educational institute, she began her career as an Ayurvedic Physician (Ayurvedacharya) with Podar Ayurveda College and Research Center in Mumbai, India. Her specialty lies in disease prevention; through pulse reading, she is able to analyze imbalances within the chakras, mind, and body and provide insight for healing. ayurvedasworld.com